These can be scripted to execute from the command line or within (some) IDE’s on several operating systems.
I’ve installed and managed dozens of MySQL installations for several years, occasionally it seems that an install just doesn’t run like it has in the past.
Recently I had a problem where the service would not start (Error 1067) on Windows Server 2003 (R2)… which is running under VMWare. After checking the obvious places and turning up nothing I started down the list of potential solutions exposed by Google search.
The ultimate solution it seems is that the ‘my.ini’ file needed to include the specific path information required by the service…. without it the service would not start.
Here’s my current file (c:\windows\my.ini) for reference:
For the really observant readers of this entry… you will notice that this is for MySQL 4.0 (which is no longer officially supported). It’s mostly used as it is widely compatible across various host systems that are sometimes problematic with newer releases.
MSIE typically only gives a cryptic ‘Object Expected’ error message and little more (even with the Microsoft Script Debugger installed!).
Some tools like FireBug and the Venkman debugger (both for Mozilla/Firefox) help in this matter, but often it helps to have an alert when an issue occurs.
Here’s a simple implementation that I’ve found useful…
var txt=”There was an error on this page.\n”;
txt+=”Error: ” + msg + “\n”;
txt+=”URL: ” + url + “\n”;
txt+=”Line: ” + l + “\n\n”;
txt+=”Click OK to continue.\n\n”;
alert(txt); return true; }