In these examples, I have used the OpenDNS servers, please change as appropriate.
sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces
auto l0 eth0
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet static
dns-nameservers 220.127.116.11 18.104.22.168
sudo vi /etc/resolv.conf
NOTE: I’m not 100% sure if this is required!
Add appropriate content, example:
sudo restart networking
sudo ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0
Often it can be beneficial to ‘more’ uniquely identify your users. For applications this is trivial, but in a web browser this can be accomplished via only a few attributes.
- HTTP – User-Agent, IP Address, Content types and languages accepted.
- HTTPS/SSL – the keys and encryption methods available to a specific user may vary for each client configuration.
- HTML5 – local storage and capabilities supported.
- Geolocation – this is included in HTML5, but also supported in many clients without full HTML5 support, or via browser extensions.
- Java (Applet) – Installed version – this can often be used to get additional information regarding the client system directly from the VM or Operating System itself. (* Persistent Cookies possible)
- Flash – Installed version – this can often be used to get additional information regarding the client system directly from the Operating System itself. (* Persistent Cookies possible)
- Silverlight (for Microsoft Windows) – – Installed version and additional information from Operating System?
- GoogleGEARS (deprecated) – Installed version and additional information from Operating System such as Geolocation
This is a concept I had forgotten about until recently, it can often serve as a simple means of code obfuscation and is also sometimes referred to as “Decimal Address”.
- DNS is used to convert a URL/domain name into an IP address that is used to contact the remote machine.
localhost = 127.0.0.7
giantgeek.com = 22.214.171.124
- IP addresses (as IPv4) are represented as groups of 4 hexadecimal or decimal octets.
- Those numbers can be plugged into a simple formula to be represented as a single large integer.
As such, you can use the following as equivalents: